June 9, 2016
A Letter to Our Customers and Partners
I am writing to give you more information about a misleading rumor that you may have heard. One of my Hitachi colleagues recently discussed investment plans during a Hitachi investor relations event in Japan, and his comments were misinterpreted by some in the press. He was misunderstood as saying that we are "freezing" our investments in high-end storage. That is not true.
I am personally familiar with the difficulties of accurately translating nuance and context from Japanese to English, so please allow me to give you the facts so that we can dispel this tale.
- We remain committed to high-end storage array systems, a market in which we are the de facto and undisputed leader. Gartner has named our Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform the highest overall rated system for every High-End Storage Critical Capabilities analysis they've ever conducted.
- We remain committed to innovating our high-end systems. Later this year you will see introductions that make our high-end systems faster and more efficient. Further enhancements in 2017 and beyond will have a heavy focus on helping customers move to the all-flash data center.
- We will also continue to focus our development investments over time by emphasizing software-defined solutions, flash, converged infrastructure and automation tools in order to help our customers modernize their IT environments.
Perhaps most misleading of all is the implication by some that high-end storage systems are our only business. That, too, is false.
- We have a proven strategy and portfolio that helps the world's largest and most complex organizations use data to accelerate their digital transformation. By defining and implementing an integrated, secure approach to manage, govern, mobilize and analyze data, our solutions uncover insights that lead to better outcomes for your business that only grow over time.
- We are unique in our ability to integrate and analyze data from the internet of things, with effective integration from the ground up.
- Renowned for our infrastructure capabilities, we also power cloud transformation with private, public and hybrid cloud models that surpass the most stringent standards for data ownership and security.
If you have any remaining questions or concerns, please let us know.
Chief Executive Officer